We are surrounded by loud noises on a daily basis. Have you ever wondered how the loud noises in your city compare to those in other cities? The U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics has an interactive map that will show you locations in the country that are exposed to the most noise. Inside your ear, there are lots of tiny fibers that help you hear. Over time, loud noise can damage these fibers — and once they’re damaged, they can’t ever be fixed. That’s why it’s so important to start protecting your ears now, while you’re young.
Tips to protect your ears
- Limit how often you listen to load music
- Use noise-reduction earplugs when appropriate
- Give your ears time to rest and recover
- Be aware of the noise from your environment and where you live
- Get regular hearing checkups and screenings